名侦探柯南事务所

标题: [长期]英文交流室 [打印本页]

作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-2 04:39
标题: [长期]英文交流室
和English Chatroom不同,在这里是给大家提供一个相互交流英文的地方.也希望尽我们所能帮助大家的提高一点点英语水平。你可以提问,我们回答。
[听起来还不是差不多- -]
1. In here, you talk in formal/proper English only, which means using correct word choice, grammar..etc ,well,as best as you can, while in ECR you chat whatever you want as long as your sentences make sense.
2. You are allowed to ask questions in Chinese. Our members will gladly help you if they can. But please please, do not bring your exercise book or something like that and ask tons of questions. Trying to ask others to do your entire homework assignment is FORBIDDEN.
3. Chatting in formal English is still allowed here. ECR is oral English.
4. You can write down your experience about how you have learned or improved English.

The active members who tried their best to answer questions at the end of the every 3 month will be rewarded. It will be either SW or CB [sorry, I'm not sure now because of this new system]...

Right now I'm taking suggestions. I'm expecting lots of them please - -

Thank you.

想练习英语就来啊^^

奖励办法:
每个季度评出一位很积极参与讨论或是热心帮忙回答问题的会员 奖励30CB

[ 本帖最后由 4everluv 于 2007-8-20 15:57 编辑 ]
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-2 15:08
Is there anybody? Learning to speak English formally is a great idea, I think everyone should try this. Hopefully we will improve together!

Mel, what "suggestion" do you mean at the end of your post?
作者: daat1928    时间: 2007-7-2 15:39
It's a little difficult for me ...
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-2 16:06
Great. So you took my suggestions. That is really nice of you to do so. :)

As for suggestions, here is my idea:

A topic can be brought up every week (or month) and those who don't have specific questions can talk about it. In this way, we can study useful words and expressions related to the topic and improve the way we discuss and argue about some common issues.

had no idea what to talk about when I first went into the ECR, and I guess there are plenty of people who have felt and are feeling the same, so I think things maybe better if we have a certain topic. What do you guys think?
作者: Cosine    时间: 2007-7-2 16:22
I agree with topics.

Topics can be various, not only about Detective Conan, but also our lives, our studies, our stories......

and you can make some rules such as: If you want to talk about these topics, please write at leastXXXX words, and no chatting.....

sharing is one of the best ways of communication.

作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-2 16:32
Exactly. There can be topics about current issues also if you guys are interested in things like Yi Jianlian joining NBA or the North Korean nuclear problem.
By the way, if someone writes Conan Fan Fiction in English (or any other languages other than Chinese), maybe we can go intercourse with some foreign Conan sites - that seems pretty far away, though.
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 01:21
For 大肚肚: The comma can not connect two sentences, which means that only one verb is allowed to exist in one sentence. [Learning to speak English formally is a great idea, I think everyone should try this.]
Though I know that it is just a small lapsus calami...possibly.....

For Consine: In the expression 'Topics can be various', the word 'various' should be substituted by the word 'varied'. Do not feel depressed since most students may make the same mistake..(as well as myself....)

It seems that KUDONOYO is an advanced leaner....and could be our teacher~ haha

My suggestion is to READ.
If the quantity of reading is adequate, lots of small problems can be solved gradually and, what may be more attractive, potentially.
So perhaps some of the vanguards can provide something interesting to read, which may be quite good.

I have some of the grammar exercises(approximately 50 pages) for students who will take the NCEE. If anyone need, please send me a messenger or leave your e-mail address. I got the pack from my teacher....
It is our (all of us) responsibility to improve members' English level...I think
As President Hu has claimed, to establish a harmonious 'BBS'~~~~

Many thanks to 4everluv for creating such an opportunity.

PS. Some problems may exist...
apologize in advance.....
Sorry for my assertive statement......

[ 本帖最后由 the_sun 于 2007-7-3 02:15 编辑 ]
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 01:27
原帖由 daat1928 于 2007-7-2 15:39 发表
It's a little difficult for me ...

As the stereotyped adage has suggested,'Where there is a will, there is a way.'
Just DO it~~~
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-3 01:58
原帖由 大肚肚 于 2007-7-2 02:08 发表
Is there anybody? Learning to speak English formally is a great idea, I think everyone should try this. Hopefully we will improve together!
Mel, what "suggestion" do you mean at the end of your post? ...

i put "probation" in the title, plus this is totally a new thing. So i guess i need suggestions on how to run this better...

原帖由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-2 03:06 发表
Great. So you took my suggestions. That is really nice of you to do so. :)

As for suggestions, here is my idea:

A topic can be brought up every week (or month) and those who don't have specific ques ...

yes, thanks for your great idea^^ I will consider a topic that is good for all of us.

原帖由 the_sun 于 2007-7-2 12:27 发表

As the stereotyped adage has suggested,'Where there is a will, there is a way.'
Just DO it~~~

yep, just do it, we are here to help^^

原帖由 the_sun 于 2007-7-2 12:21 发表
I have some of the grammar exercises(approximately 50 pages) for students who will take the NECC. If anyone need, please send me a messenger or leave your e-mail address. I got the pack from my teacher....
It is our (all of us) responsibility to improve members' English level...I think
As President Hu has claimed, to establish a harmonious 'BBS'~~~~

Many thanks to 4everluv for creating such an opportunity.

PS. Some problems may exist...
apologize in advance.....
Sorry for my assertive statement......

You are welcome. That's what I'm supposed to do here as the moderator: taking good ideas.
what is NECC? but anyways, thanks for your support. your effort is greatly appreciated^^

[ 本帖最后由 Ange1ica 于 2007-7-2 12:59 编辑 ]
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 02:14
Sorry.....
NCEE.....
I will correct it....
作者: SSV    时间: 2007-7-3 02:45
So what's the topic?
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-3 03:09
The comma can not connect two sentences, which means that only one verb is allowed to exist in one sentence.

It sounds like the concept of comma splice run-on.....
作者: SSV    时间: 2007-7-3 03:28
only one verb is allowed to exist in one sentence.

This is a false statement.

Whoever is good at math, please count the verbs in the following sentence:

"Shortly after the suspect was admitted following Saturday's attack, police confiscated a suspicious item from his body and called for a partial evacuation of the hospital. "
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-3 10:19
原帖由 the_sun 于 2007-7-3 02:14 发表
Sorry.....
NCEE.....
I will correct it....

But still.. what is NCEE, please?
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 10:54
National College Entrance Exam.....
俗称高考……
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 11:00
For SSV
"Shortly after the suspect was admitted following Saturday's attack, police confiscated a suspicious item from his body and called for a partial evacuation of the hospital. "

The first part of the sentence is a time clause (if you have noticed the word 'after').
For the second part, similarly, the linking word 'and' makes sense.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-3 11:01
Ah I see. I've heard about the National College Entrance Exam but not about its abbreviated form.  I thought it was National Certification of Electric Engineer.. hahaha.. very far-fetched.
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 11:02
Maybe I have gotten what you mean.......
作者: SSV    时间: 2007-7-3 15:22
原帖由 the_sun 于 2007-7-3 11:00 发表
For SSV

The first part o ...

Well done, my friend.
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-3 16:59
原帖由 SSV 于 2007-7-3 15:22 发表

Well done, my friend.

Thank you for your praise~~~~
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-4 03:38
Please forgive me,  I feel like I'm running out of ideas right now..
is July Fourth US Independence Day a good topic?
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-4 05:30
原帖由 Ange1ica 于 2007-7-4 03:38 发表
Please forgive me,  I feel like I'm running out of ideas right now..
is July Fourth US Independence Day a good topic?

This is a good topic, since I don't have class on that day.......
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-4 06:21
标题: 回复 #21 Ange1ica 的帖子
Then what about the folks who don't have anything to do with U.S.??
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-4 06:29
that's why I'm saying that I'm running out of [good] ideas
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-4 07:13
that's why I'm saying that I'm running out of [good] ideas

What about the plans for summer vacation?
Since this is a long break for students, they may have different plan for their break

[ 本帖最后由 hiddern70 于 2007-7-4 07:17 编辑 ]
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-4 16:53
Yea I like the idea of discussing summer vacations.
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-4 17:56
I have to learn French during my summer vocation.....
and prepare for my study in the UK.......
I doubt whether there is a 'vocation' for me....

My interest is on European Society and Thought...but I suppose that no one will be interest in it......
作者: Lucky^    时间: 2007-7-5 17:58
Hey ,,here comes a good topic,since no topic has really started ever><..actually ,a null one maybe..
Is there any guy study or live in the Western coast in U.S.?I got to know a prodigy named Andrew Hsu recently.and click this website to get more information about him:http://www.andrewhsu.com/andrewhsu/index_zh.php

++He looks like a real scientist ...^^
from Time For Kids --Kids Scroops.
PS  To upstairs ,Id rather talk about ur topic although i know almost nothing about European society^  ^

[ 本帖最后由 Lucky^ 于 2007-7-7 17:58 编辑 ]
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-5 18:15
Another prodigy named Neal Wu= =he is my calculus classmate= =
作者: Lucky^    时间: 2007-7-5 18:50
You can tell us his story ^^if u want ~~~yea!~~~
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-6 05:12
well, he seems to know everything without paying attention in class,while others have no idea what the teacher is talking about = =
he was 1st place in the nation in Mathcount [middle schooler level] when he was only 7th grade. If you google him[image], the picture is him with many other geniuses with President Bush in White House
he wins so many countless big or small awards. Not only math, he ranks number one is his class [about 400 students],and he got 232 on his PSAT as a freshman   i think that's a pretty awesome score= =
作者: SSV    时间: 2007-7-6 05:34
原帖由 Ange1ica 于 2007-7-6 05:12 发表
well, he seems to know everything without paying attention in class,while others have no idea what the teacher is talking about = =
he was 1st place in the nation in Mathcount [middle schooler level]  ...

Everyone is good at something.
作者: Lucky^    时间: 2007-7-7 17:45
原帖由 Ange1ica 于 2007-7-6 05:12 发表
he was 1st place in the nation in Mathcount [middle schooler level]  ...

Well, you are in Glasgow Middle School?
This kind of prodigies always hav a pretty high IQ.

PS I'm wonderin how to take a iq test although i hav tried once online.I wanna know the official test procedure.anybody can tell me about it??... thxxx^^
作者: the_sun    时间: 2007-7-7 19:44
Have no idea with this kind of BTs......
Too cute to do ........
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-8 08:02
原帖由 Lucky^ 于 2007-7-7 04:45 发表

Well, you are in Glasgow Middle School?
This kind of prodigies always hav a pretty high IQ.

PS I'm wonderin how to take a iq test although i hav tried once online.I wanna know the official test pr ...

He is in HIgh school now
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-9 00:30
This guy is so typically freakish.
I'm not sure if his college journey would be as smooth, though.
You need more than IQ to do well in college, whereas in high school.. you generally rely on your brain.

[ 本帖最后由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-9 00:32 编辑 ]
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-9 03:13
yes, I agree. I think social skill is important too.
作者: SSV    时间: 2007-7-9 08:41
IQ tells us nothing about one's ability and knownledge.
作者: Lucky^    时间: 2007-7-9 22:04
EQ tend to be more important i think^^
作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-12 16:13
Sorry everyone, I haven't replied for such long time.
Since we've already started this a little, let's continue with this topic
The Genius Around You

Here's something from my experience, most of the genius in US are asians, Chinese, especially.
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-12 16:25
Quote by our great Confucius:
When I walk along with two others, they may serve me as my teachers. I will select their good qualities and follow them, their bad qualities and avoid them.

And a genius cannot be all good, so I don't really care.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-12 20:56
I would rather name this topic "Freaks Around Us", haha.
And yes, Asians are horribly freakish. My roommate got 17 APs...
作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-13 04:13
the little freaks around us don't seem to have a good social life as others do. Sometimes others just don't understand them|||

lol LS, that's awefully scary.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-13 05:53
Well, I like it better here.

ECR works well, except it misleads and confuses people who are not yet fluent in English.

In addition, I personally appreciate correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation. It makes reading much easier.

Thanks, Melv, for providing this.
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-13 06:16
原帖由 无情 于 2007-7-12 16:53 发表
Well, I like it better here.

ECR works well, except it misleads and confuses people who are not yet fluent in English.

In addition, I personally appreciate correct grammar, spelling, and punctuati ...

I'm touched....
*情儿mwah*
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-13 06:32
标题: Regarding the word "intercourse"
This is something I found worth saying from reading previous posts.

I'd like to point out that the word "intercourse" has more than one meaning and should be used with extreme caution. I do realize that many Chinese-English dictionaries do not include all of its meanings for different reasons; however, not providing all information necessary may lead to very embarrasing misuses of the said word.

intercourse
n.
1. Dealings or communications between persons or groups.
2. Sexual intercourse.

As you can see, the second meaning is to fuck/to do somebody. Therefore, we usually avoid its usage, and use the word "communicate" instead.
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-13 07:00
原帖由 无情 于 2007-7-12 17:32 发表
This is something I found worth saying from reading previous posts.

I'd like to point out that the word "intercourse" has more than one meaning and should be used with extreme caution. I do realize  ...

although this is right, i don't think i will ever use that word - -
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-13 07:28
原帖由 Ange1ica 于 2007-7-13 07:00 发表

although this is right, i don't think i will ever use that word - -

Me neither, besides, I don't heard this word very often from people's conversation.

Anyhow, glad to see 57 here. How's everything going?
Also, thanks for you guys' correction. I deeply appriciate.

euh.. complete sentence ..

[ 本帖最后由 hiddern70 于 2007-7-13 08:08 编辑 ]
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-13 07:59
本来我也考虑了一会儿。后来觉得不用它会有人找不到 to do somebody 的含义,故此句。

其实这还是我第一次敲这个词然后作为自己的语言发出去。

hiddern:这种情况下应用 Me neither.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-14 21:00
I also found it pretty awkward to use this word in conversation. But my Japanese professor, who is a Japanese American, often uses it in class. Maybe I just get used to it gradually. Who would use this word to stand for sexual activities when they really mean it, anyway?
作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-15 04:52
原帖由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-14 08:00 发表
I also found it pretty awkward to use this word in conversation. But my Japanese professor, who is a Japanese American, often uses it in class. Maybe I just get used to it gradually. Who would use thi ...

When you want to say,
there must be some communication between them..

You end up saying
There must be some int******se between them...

it does sound awkward. I just cannot say it
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-15 11:00
I think the word "gay" is another good example for this case.
Mostly, this word means homosexual, especailly in our conversation.

However, this word could also means to have or show a merry, lively mood.
Also, it means given to or abounding in social or other pleasures, such as a gay social season.
作者: rosinia    时间: 2007-7-15 11:18
原帖由 4everluv 于 2007-7-15 04:52 发表

When you want to say,
there must be some communication between them..

You end up saying
There must be some int******se between them...

it does sound awkward. I just cannot say it

Yeah, it appears akward.
I helped someone edit his report several weeks ago, he used phrases such as "social intercourse" for "社会交流", it's essentially correct in meaning but wrong in word choice.
Mostly people would avoid such usage, but there's odd ones who either don't understand or just don't care.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-16 10:51
I just realized that to have sex has the same meaning. For some reason I forgot it when I wrote the last post. I should have used it instead of typing that... Well, it must be all the things I've been reading... Seeing it multiple times changes your reaction to that eff word.

===
My apologies. I slipped into chat mode by accident.

[ 本帖最后由 无情 于 2007-7-16 10:56 编辑 ]
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-16 10:53
Anyway, it becomes less awkward once you are used to it. Use it many more times, Kudo-san, and chances are we are not going to feel anything.

[ 本帖最后由 无情 于 2007-7-16 10:58 编辑 ]
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-18 00:04
And that is exactly why I want to avoid it in the first place.
Try to stare at a Chinese character for more than 3 minutes, and it won't look the same any more. You will feel like as though this character did not "look like" itself. Same goes for English word usage.

[ 本帖最后由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-18 00:06 编辑 ]
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-18 03:24
Kudo-san: My thoughts exactly.

Anyway, let's start another topic, since this one can be uncomfortable for others, shall we?

How about Harry Potter? From my personal experiences, HP always gets the conversation rolling. ^^

I'm sure some of you watched the movie (5th) already. Why not talk about it? And is anyone lining up outside Chapters (or whatever bookstore you shop at) for the seventh book? I regret to say it, but I am not.

And who are your favourite characters? Hermoine? Ron? Harry? James? Fred and George? The list is endless.

Unfortunately, I don't like Harry. Therefore whenever people ask me if I like Harry Potter, I ask them if they are talking about the book or the character. I don't hate him either. It's just that I cannot relate to him; I don't understand him.

Now onto the piece that always gets me flamed: I like Severus. For those of you who don't know who he is, that's our beloved Potions Master, Severus Snape.

There, I've said it. I like Snape. That's right. He is not my favourite character (that'd be Hermoine), but I still like him.

Okay, now I yield the floor to all you keen conversationists. If you wish to, go ahead and prove to me that Snape isn't worth liking. I am fairly open-minded and may seriously consider not liking him for once. =v=
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-18 08:49
That's a good topic, I just borrow the movie from library yesterday.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-18 13:49
Merlin's beard! I just thought I would talk about something Harry Potter-ish here before I logged in and saw your post! And yea, this is a great topic that gets many people talking in places like forums and colleges.  I am so eagerly waiting for the last book of this sequence - I've pre-ordered it online and it will be right on my doorsteps this Saturday.

As for the movie, I'm not really that much into it. I think one of the greatest features of these books is that they are all full of interesting and important details. You never know, maybe when you come across something that seems so unrelated to the main plot, you choose to ignore it; later on, though, you will be amazed by how it comes to play a crucial role in the story. Unfortunately, due to the fact that a movie can't be forty hours long, many fascinating details are cut... and I decided not to watch them any more.

And to Wu Qing, it's Hermione, not Hermoine. Pronounced like Her-my-oh-nee. She's my favorite character also. When I was back in elementary school, my English teacher was an enthusiastic Harry Potter fan and she named the whole class with names from the books. She named herself Sibyl (Trelawney). The name Hermione was given to me. (Harry, Ron and Tom/Voldemort were not given to anyone, though, as far as I can remember.)

As for the Potions Master, there are heated debates about whether he is a friend or a foe everywhere. And my point is - neither. Severus Snape is a typical Slytherin. He works for himself only. Period.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-18 21:27
hiddern: I envy you. I placed it on hold, and there are about 400 people in queue before me.
I'm not going to spend nearly ten dollars to watch it in the theatres, though. It's not worth it.

Kudo-san: What can I say? Great minds think alike.

And ah, so it's Hermione. Thanks. I was wondering why mine didn't follow the pronunciation.

I agree, movies rarely do the books justice. Companies have budget limitations and all that. It's simply impossible for them to put everything in, with the material and time given. Therefore I don't expect much from the movies and watch them to see all the actors instead of the plot. (Just as a side note, I really really like the platinum-blonds in the second movie. Ah, the Malfoys...)

Regarding the role of Sanpe, I must say yours is an interesting perspective. Whatever it is, we shall see it in the near future.

Everyone:
Usually I don't mind spoilers, but in this case, I do! If you must discuss the seventh book, please be considerate and include a spoiler warning. Please!
I am not buying the book so I don't know when I can get to read it. So please don't spoil it for me. Thanks!
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-18 21:38
Exactly! Tom Felton simply rocks. In the world of fandom, the Malfoys are portrayed as calculating, evil, sexy and graceful blonds, and somehow very much attractive, and Tom Felton perfects the image. Ah...
I watched movie 1 in the cinema and I was totally amazed by how Emma intepretes Hermione. The expression on her face when she jumps to answer a question! Rupert is pretty good also; he looks so funny when confused. Haha. But Daniel seems lame. He is lame.
I think I'll finish book 7 before next Tuesday - OT this weekend - and looking forward to sharing ideas with you guys all before and after that. :)
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-18 22:00
Finally! Someone who doesn't think liking the Malfoys is a sin.
The word sexy doesn't do them justice. They are beyond sexy.

Emma is perfect for the role. I like her a lot. She adds life to the book, I think. Before the first movie I couldn't imagine Hermione in real life. But now it's so natural to see her when I read.

Words fail me when it comes to Daniel. He smiles like a loon for god's sake! But then again, that's how he is in the book. Does that make him a good actor I wonder?

I envy you people. I must wait for the library to get the book first. Then I'll wait in line and pray that those before me read faster than I do. (-33-)
My estimated waiting time is probably a year or so...
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-18 22:10
But why are you not buying a copy yourself?
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-19 00:36
Sorry, I was away for 西游记.

Back to the topic, I'm not buying it because it's too expensive for me. All things considered, I do not think the price is attractive enough. After all, I'm not really a Harry Potter fan. I only read the sixth book to stay up-to-date with my friends. And even though the seventh book sounds extremely promising, I doubt the satisfaction from reading it this summer and then owning it is worth thirty-or-so dollars.

Put in another way, I'm too cheap.
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-19 01:42
hiddern: I envy you. I placed it on hold, and there are about 400 people in queue before me.  
I'm not going to spend nearly ten dollars to watch it in the theatres, though. It's not worth it.

I am sorry to hear that. Sometimes holding meterials in libraries could take longer than your expecting,
becasue you will find that tons of people are in the line already.
Anyhow, about the movie, I agree with you guys opinion, it is true that the movie could erase a lot of
meterial from the novel. For the missing part, I will try to find out in the novel.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-19 06:47
hiddern: Yes, it is quite regrettable that I won't be able to watch the fifth movie or read the seventh book in the near future. But what can I do? I don't have the money for this kind of luxury in the first place. Besides, it's not like I'm old and may die anytime. So if I can wait for a while and get the same thing for free then there's no point in paying for it now. Another reason I'm not watching the movie now is that my friends aren't going. So there's no incentive at all. I would never watch a movie all by myself in the cinema, unless it's work-related or free.

And to stray from the topic a tiny bit (okay, maybe more than a tiny bit)... hiddern your signature!! I remember watching 西游记 every day during summer when I was little. I used to love it!
Anyway, I was so happy when I found it on television six days ago. I've been watching it since then (one episode a day). It's absolutely shocking how much I forgot but then remembered just as it plays. And the quality of those special effects! You won't believe how poorly-done they look (and sound)! To think I watched a show that has such poor special effects from, say, four to ten! Gah! Unbelievable. But the plot and characters are flawless. It's definitely a classic.
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-19 07:37
wuqing: Well, that version is definitly a classic one. Also, that version can not be replaced, forever.
Those actors treated their jobs seriously, so they can made an impressive show for their audience and the fans of 西游记.

Just like the first version Three Kingdoms (三国演义) , the tecnique was not advance, also. However, those actors and dialogue are definitly unforgettable.
作者: 黑天使    时间: 2007-7-21 23:43
it's seem to vist foreign web.....
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-22 00:07
Is there anyone who's reading 三国(演义or志)not only for fun but more of a research?
It's really interesting, as a novel or a history textbook.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-22 00:30
原帖由 黑天使 于 2007-7-21 23:43 发表
it's seem to vist foreign web.....

I agree.

By the way, why can't anyone move my post for me? It's here: http://bbs.aptx.cn/viewthread.php?tid=163091&extra=page%3D1

Online leaks... About HP7...
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-22 00:32
Oh, I didn't see that...I can do that (without peaking at anything in there)
作者: Rache    时间: 2007-7-22 00:38
原帖由 大肚肚 于 2007-7-22 00:07 发表
Is there anyone who's reading 三国(演义or志)not only for fun but more of a research?
It's really interesting, as a novel or a history textbook.

I'm enjoying that GBA game from KOEI. Have u try it?
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-22 01:10
原帖由 大肚肚 于 2007-7-22 00:32 发表
Oh, I didn't see that...I can do that (without peaking at anything in there)

Thanks, Du. ^^

By the way there isn't any spoiler (or anything plot-related, for that matter) inside. Just describing how JKR and her lawyers admitted there's online leak of the seventh book.
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-22 01:30
Too pity that I didn't read any book on Harry Porter.
Anyhow, I am trying to make up my mind, to go throw the first three books in this summer...
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-22 13:22
原帖由 Rache 于 2007-7-22 00:38 发表

I'm enjoying that GBA game from KOEI. Have u try it?

Unfortunately all I have got is a book
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-22 23:08
Wu Qing san,  I'm sure when you finish book 7, you'll love Severus more. Everyone loves Potion Master now that book 7 tells us his story.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-23 01:23
Ah... I knew it. I was trying so hard to prove to my friends that Severus is a noble person.

I knew Dumbledore would never beg to be spared. He was begging Severus to kill him.
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-23 01:43
I just read everybody's words. I am new here.I think this is a great place to practise  my English. So  I love this place!

But my English is not very good, I just try my best  to understand your words.I think I has made many mistakes.If I did,please help me correct them.

I really love HP,and I love 西游记,too! 六小龄童 is a really great  actor in 西游记!  I love  the  version  which you talk about  when  i  am  still  a  child!
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-23 05:34
原帖由 TRUTH CN 于 2007-7-23 01:43 发表
I just read everybody's words. I am new here.I think this is a great place to practise  my English. So  I love this place!

But my English is not very good, I just try my best  to understa ...

Welcome!

It's really nice to see someone with such patience when it comes to learning a foreign language. With your determination, your English will improve gradually, one step at a time. So be patient.

I'm glad to know that you also like 西游记. I also used to love it when I was little. Now, I'm re-watching every episode. It's a classic.
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-23 06:18
Greetings everyone!
Did you buy the 7th version of HC, wuqing?
How is the book ?
作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-23 06:34
标题: yeah, Happy Potter, Harry Potter
my roommate got up at 6 on 7-21, waited for an hour for the gift shop to open . i was so jealous because i just couldnt wake up- -
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-23 07:04
Melv. I heard there's an online version because someone took pictures of the whole book and got people to type up everything to make a pdf file.
作者: St.Anime    时间: 2007-7-23 09:43
Qing-er~
Do you still use MSN?
People like us going to UofT should bond together and defeat the evilness of massive lecture halls...*dies*
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-23 09:48
原帖由 无情 于 2007-7-23 05:34 发表

Welcome!

It's really nice to see someone with such patience when it comes to learning a foreign language. With your determination, your English will improve gradually, one step at a time. So be pat ...

Thank you very much!

I  was  jealous  because  I  am  living in China . I must wait for the Chinese version !That's  a  really  terrible long time ! So  I think you  are  so  lucky  to  live  in  foreign country or study  abroad!
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-23 13:59
原帖由 无情 于 2007-7-23 01:23 发表
Ah... I knew it. I was trying so hard to prove to my friends that Severus is a noble person.

I knew Dumbledore would never beg to be spared. He was begging Severus to kill him.

I don't want to spoil the story but I meant more than that, more than which side Severus actually takes. What makes him noble and brave is - alas, Dumbledore again - love.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-23 14:05
原帖由 TRUTH CN 于 2007-7-23 09:48 发表

Thank you very much!

I  was  jealous  because  I  am  living in China . I must wait for the Chinese version !That's  a  really  terrible long time ! So  I think you  are  so  lucky  to  live ...

Hey!  Why do you have to wait for the Chinese version if you can read English? Every online book store sells tons of copies of HP7. You can check out joyo/dangdang etc. If you live in one of some big cities, you can get one in your local Xinhua book stores also. Just go buy and read!  The second half of it is fabulous!
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-24 00:35
原帖由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-23 14:05 发表

Hey!  Why do you have to wait for the Chinese version if you can read English? Every online book store sells tons of copies of HP7. You can check out joyo/dangdang etc. If you live in one of som ...

I think the English version is too expensive!  The most important is, I afraid I don't understand the  English version book! Actually, I think that's  too  difficult  for me to do so, because of too many new words...
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-24 00:57
原帖由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-23 13:59 发表

I don't want to spoil the story but I meant more than that, more than which side Severus actually takes. What makes him noble and brave is - alas, Dumbledore again - love.

Yes, I heard about that...The newspaper had spoiled the ending of the story .

To be honest,at the beginning,I thought Severus was a bad guy.But after reading the HP4, my feeling changed. I guess maybe he is not so bad...He  seems to 'hate'
Harry,but he had some
special  reason to do so.

Now,it 's been proved...

About the love,I think there was a  hint in HP4...

Sorry!Maybe I  am spoiling the story
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-24 02:46
I've only read the book up to chapter 12
Maybe it's just my "Summer Vacation of English Skills" but I'm so tired of Ms. Rowling's writings (not that the storyline is not attractive)...
My friend advised me to rest and I certainly did...

作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-24 02:47
And I thought Lita Skeeter learned to shut up
(maybe I lost track of what's going on with her)
作者: hiddern70    时间: 2007-7-24 03:26
I think the English version is too expensive!  The most important is, I afraid I don't understand the  English version book! Actually, I think that's  too  difficult  for me to do so, because of too many new words...

You don't have to concern about that. Everyone who can speak English fluently also comes from that diffcult time. Therefore,  set up your confidence and make your move.

[ 本帖最后由 hiddern70 于 2007-7-24 03:28 编辑 ]
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-24 16:08
原帖由 hiddern70 于 2007-7-24 03:26 发表

You don't have to concern about that. Everyone who can speak English fluently also comes from that diffcult time. Therefore,  set up your confidence and make your move.

Exactly.  And, TRUTH san, the best way to get to know those new words is to read them in a story, not a dictionary. The context will help you relate the words to their meaning, but a dictionary can only help you relate them to their translation. Just move on, and good luck.
And as for the price... I think the English version is totally worth the price. I used to read Chinese versions when I was younger (much, much younger, as a matter of fact), and later, when I first moved to the English copies, I was completely spellbound. There are tricks and puns and puzzles and words between lines that just can't be translated into another language. And trust me, Ms Rowling is good at those.
作者: KUDONOYO    时间: 2007-7-24 16:10
原帖由 大肚肚 于 2007-7-24 02:47 发表
And I thought Lita Skeeter learned to shut up
(maybe I lost track of what's going on with her)

Rita is not afraid of Hermione any more... because the latter dares not show up in public. I guess she is the Undesirable No. 3, haha.
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-25 11:10
原帖由 KUDONOYO 于 2007-7-24 16:08 发表

Exactly.  And, TRUTH san, the best way to get to know those new words is to read them in a story, not a dictionary. The context will help you relate the words to their meaning, but a dictionary can o ...

Maybe you're right!One of my English teachers told us the English version is much  better than the Chinese version.Maybe I should try..
作者: TRUTH CN    时间: 2007-7-25 11:13
原帖由 hiddern70 于 2007-7-24 03:26 发表

Thanks...I think I will try...
作者: Ange1ica    时间: 2007-7-28 13:20
原帖由 TRUTH CN 于 2007-7-24 22:10 发表

Maybe you're right!One of my English teachers told us the English version is much  better than the Chinese version.Maybe I should try..

are you all talking about Harry Potter?
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-29 01:13
I suppose so.

By the way, nice avatar Melv. ^^
作者: 大肚肚    时间: 2007-7-29 02:09
I've finished it, and my best friend told me to repeat the whole story to her in details= =
That was challenging, I was forgetting some of the stories and I just said Rowling whenever that happened
After all it's Ms. Rowling who made the story too complicated for me to remember...
作者: 4everluv    时间: 2007-7-30 04:41
标题: This might be too early
Anybody wants to tell us your plan for next school year?

I will be a 12 grader so that sucks for me. I will be mainly working on my college applications next year. I have a list of 15 schools that i want to apply. Maybe I will be able to narrow it down a little bit- - but yes, that's still a lot of works to do.
I just hope the entrance essays won't be so hard- -
and my AP courses, I took 5 this year.- -
orientation is tomorrow, so I'm back to school , well, almost.
作者: 无情    时间: 2007-7-30 07:25
Yay! A brand new topic! This is great! ^^

I don't really know what I have next year exactly, because I haven't picked my courses yet.

I know I'll be going to university, and that's about it.

Ani: Sorry, Ani. I can't take Japanese with you next year. I realized that I must take physics to keep my options open. I'm so sorry. T-T My dad said Japanese would be great for 拉分, but he also said it wouldn't be as useful to my career as physics would: physics enables me to get to the specialist level if necessary.

欢迎光临 名侦探柯南事务所 (https://bbs.aptx.cn/) Powered by Discuz! X2.5